Sunday, November 2, 2014

Cerise went to #Paris, ate and came home to cook...new #novels and #Beef #Bourguignon, Part Two

In Paris, my dish came to me in a tall pot,
similar to this one but smaller in circumference.
(No mashed potatoes came on side of mine.)
I love to travel and when at home and at my writing, I love to break to decompress and I cook, baby, and remember great dining.

One of my favorite adventures is trying a new version of a tried-and-true recipe.

Today's is a result of the mad craving I experienced for the TO-DIE-FOR Beef Bourguignon I devoured one rainy night two weeks ago at a fabulous cozy restaurant on Rue Mont Cenis in Montmarte section of Paris. While I cannot say I equal that chef's marvelous rendition, I did try.

I'll be honest and say this one took me a while. Count it: Two whole mornings. Approximately 6 hours. But wow, last night's dinner with a wonderful Cotes du Rhone and a baguette was scrumptious.
Want to try my newest version?
Here we go!

What you need:
To marinate the beef: (2 days before serving)
2 lbs of lean chuck
1 bottle of red wine (I used a pinot noir. American, Napa origin. Cost approx. $15.00)
3 medium shallots, sliced thinly
2 long carrots, sliced thinly
3 large cloves garlic, crushed (Use more or less as desired.)
crushed pepper (10 good turns from a mill.)
2 bay leaves
1 t. salt
Cut beef into bit size pieces, removing any large bits of fat.
Mix the marinade ingredients. Add the liquid to the meat in a ceramic bowl, cover and refrigerate for 2 days.

My version looks like this one, dark and rich and oh, wow!
Picture from Travel Channel.com

Serving day:
Ingredients:
2-3 red potatoes
1 lb fresh mushrooms or 2 large cans
2-4 additional garlic cloves
flour
1/2 white onion
1 small can tomato paste

1. Bring meat and marinade to room temperature. (approx. 2 hours in 70 degree atmosphere)
2. Strain meat from marinade and reserve all.
3. From slices of bacon, cut fat and cook in large oven-proof pot to render. When sizzling, brown beef in small batches so that each piece is well browned.
4. With chunks of bacon still in bottom, add shallots and carrots to sauté.
5. Add 1 T. of oil if necessary to pot and sauté 1/2 white onion (sliced) and 2-4 small red potatoes (cut in quarters). Remove vegetables.
6. Deglaze bottom of pot if necessary with small amount of marinade. Add 1 T. flour and whisk until well blended.
7. Add 2-3 more garlic cloves (diced), 1 T. tomato paste, and 1 can of beef broth (14 oz can). Simmer to boiling and add all ingredients back to pot.
8. Place in oven at 300 degrees for 2 1/2 hours.
9. Add sliced mushrooms sautéed in 1-2 T. butter.

Serve with baguette and a good red wine.
Happy dining!!! (And oh, yeah, it makes the house smell like heaven...for more than a day!)

Remember to come to my FB party with Desiree Holt Tuesday, Veterans Day, as she and I celebrate HEROES! I am also celebrating the release of my first boxed set of Regencies, THE STANHOPE CHALLENGE, out Nov. 11! 

Go here to sign up for this party! https://www.facebook.com/events/602104836561316/


No comments: