Thursday, August 11, 2016

Cerise went to #Bath, #England, indulged in #Fashion Museum, architecture! #Regency

One of the displays featuring 2 men's
coats in forefront plus a man's red silk damask
banyan, dated 1715. 
On my recent research trip to England, Mr. DeLand and I caught the train for Bath. What a delight to visit the town where Jane Austen visited and so many other notables. My main interest, as you might imagine, was to go to the Fashion Museum. Oh, sigh. How I wish I could have spent WEEKS there instead of hours!

The wealth of what they have collected there could amuse and inform anyone interested in fabric, designing and fashion. A little girl's dream closet come true is certainly the impression I had!

The Fashion Museum is housed in the same building as the Assembly Rooms not far from the major thoroughfare through the old city of Bath and not far, in another direction, from the Crescent and from the Circus. Financed by a tontine opened in 1768 (of 53 subscribers), the list raised 14,000 pounds to begin construction. The exterior is very plain, but the interior is dotted with Corinthian columns, swags and Vitruvian scrolls. I leave for another day, my pictures and dialogue about the Roman baths, the Pump Room, our dining experience there, and the city in general.
George II portrait on entry wall
of Fashion Museum


Here for your delight are my pictures. I apologize first that there are few pictures of the exhibit per se. Taking pix through glass is not my forte and so I demure and offer up my regrets. Instead, I encourage you to buy a marvelously affordable train ticket to Bath from London and enjoy the delights of the train and that museum for yourself.The Fashion Museum holds original clothing from many eras, collected and carefully catalogued. The curators rotate the displays to "air" the garments which are normally kept in boxes. Researchers may apply to examine items of clothing. And I, Dear Reader, wished I had the time!

 This particular exhibit I saw was of Georgian period clothing, including women's and men's outfits. Shoes, bonnets, belt buckles, jewelry and ladies pockets were a wonderful site to behold, giving you a full picture of what people wore head to toe. In particular, George IV's extravagant coronation outfit was breath-taking.

I particularly enjoyed learning the history of the Assembly Rooms, not as popular after the Regency period. As Brighton became more popular, the building was vacant for a time, then in the early 20th century it became a cinema! In ruin after the Great War, restored only after World War II. Do visit the website for more information about this marvelous building in Bath.

Period gowns in shades of browns, reds and yellows
of Regency period






































Decor at one end of the Tea Room.

Mantel in the Octagon Card room,
central room of the Assembly Rooms layout.
Plaster decor in the ballroom
The balcony above the Ballroom floor where the musicians sat and played.
Full length of the Ballroom, ceiling decor. Imagine this lit with candles!
One chandelier which in Regency period boasted candles not electric light bulbs.

Ceiling plasterwork, detail.

Detail, wrought iron fencing on homes/offices in the Circus, not far from the Assembly Rooms.

No comments: