Wednesday, November 15, 2023

Honeymoon cottages and other delights of deep research!

 Writing historical romance requires often more research than you, the reader, can often imagine! More than even I can imagine, too.

One of the biggest challenges, I find, is that I have to really SEE what I'm describing. I have to have a feel for what it is and where it is so that my characters also know where they are. A room, a house, the countryside often give you a feeling, don't they?

I remember what it was like to ride on a Ferris Wheel at the school fair on Fourth of July. I recall the shivers I got as I walked World War One American cemeteries in France. The eerie feeling of the underground fortress of Verdun France. (It was so cold, so miserable that even my husband who loves the cold turned to me after a tour that lasted much too long beneath ceilings dripping with ice cold water and said, "I must leave. Coming with me, are you?"

I was.

And so here is a picture for you of the place I choose that would be Kendryck and Tynley's honeymoon cottage on the coast of Wales. Lovely, isn't it? Cozy. 

I also thought they deserved this for their honeymoon because so much was so wrong with his family and the tow of them had to solve that, didn't they? What they needed was the affirmation of a good future together before they could join hands and resolve all the wrongs that lay before them.

Here is my picture of the eerie Cliffs of Glamorgan in Wales, which is what Tynley sees as she approaches Kendryck's home. And the picture of Rhoos, Wales.




And here is the sunny picture of the land where Kendryck's house stands. Lovely, isn't it? But in a fog and in the cold, I imagine it to be rather forbidding. This is a picture of Caswell Bay.


Finally, the article I read in an old British newspaper that gave me the idea of a lady sadly missing.



No comments: