Monday, September 21, 2026

Do you want your heroine to give in to the bad guys???

 

I am peeved this morning because a suspense drama we watched last night gave us an ending with a really smart heroine...but in the end she did not save the day, nor help the wounded, nor stand up for justice but gave in. 

What got us into her at first was her total devotion to her job (Detective). She was predictably smart and tenacious...but after 6 hour-long episodes, she joined the bad guys! 
THIS was to provide substance for another season. 
But, you know what? They failed! 
I like my heroine to win the day. I like her to be consistent. Here, I would have liked her to win SOMETHING. But to give in and join others who kill others indiscriminately and pervert justice is not my thing. 
And so I wonder: Is the entertainment industry bowing to the zeitgeist and approving the ability of the Bad Guys to win?
I recently read a romantsy where the heroine did the same thing as the one in this tv series. 
Is there where we go now?
Justifying the "end justifies the means"? Allowing morally gray characters to "win" for whatever reason they think suitable?
I work very hard to give my characters ethics and to a great extent morals. I like to see them grow into role models and "save the day."
I heartily disapprove of heroes and heroines who do as they wish and call it acceptable, helpful, even morally just.
I won't write a morally gray main character. I have a heck of a time correcting his or her behavior and getting rid of their intemperate friends! 
 

No comments: